According to Sloka, an ancient text of Ayurveda, "food is medicine when consumed properly."
Food is the essence of life. We need food in our body to live.
So one of the most important thing in life is to choose to eat properly.
Picture credit: Shutterstock
1) Eat in a place where you feel calm and comfortable. When sitting down, your stomach is relaxed and your focus is solely on the food: its taste, texture and smell. You feel more aware of what you are putting in your mouth, that's why it's important to chose a place with no distraction around.
2) Eat alone or with people you enjoy the company. The food we are eating can nourish our soul and emotions, it goes beyond physical wellness.
3) Never eat when you feel emotionally down. According to Dr David Frawley, Ayurvedic Healing, "Wrong emotion can upset our digestion. so wrong digestion can affect our emotions." In this case, we always tend to overeat. The best remedy when feeling upset is to call a friend.
4) Eat small meals regularly but avoid late night feast. Your digestive system is working out throughout the day and eating late meals mean your body continues to digest your food. This can result in a build up of digestive toxins due to improper digestion and you may wake up feeling tired.
5) Only eat when you are feeling hungry. This means when you have completely digested your previous meal. Sometimes we are feeling dehydrated rather than hungry.
6) Eat the right quantity. Listen to your body and only eat what you can.
7) Discover new flavors. Pop into your local market and pick up something you have never tried before. In Ayurveda, each meal should include 6 tastes.
8) Choose fresh food and cook homemade meals as much as you can. Take a stroll in your local farm and get freshly produced food. Nothing better than sourcing your own ingredients and get cooking.
9) Eat simple. The best things in life are the things we keep simple.
10) Use spices and herbs. Use and abuse. Not only spices add flavor and aroma, they also bring therapeutic value to any meal. They boost your natural immunity and facilitate digestion.
Happy eating x